The department of Mathematics at UOG has been established in 1996 E.C. under the faculty of applied natural Science (currently called collage of Natural and Computational Sciences) in the name of Department of Applied Mathematics. The department has graduated four batches in applied Mathematics, at BSc degree level. Now based on the revised and harmonize curriculum at national level and BPR, changes have been made and its name is changed to department of Mathematics, as agreed at national level. By now it offers BSc degree and MSc degree program in Mathematics for regular, extension and summer students. In addition, the department continuous to provide a vital support to the academic programs of several departments at the University of Gondar by offering a wide ranges of services courses and staff members are involved in participating mega research and community service.
- Vision of the Department of Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics aspires to be a prominent mathematical center committed to the advancement and dissemination of mathematical knowledge, and to the training of motivated and responsible mathematicians who contribute to the scientific and technological development of Ethiopia.
- Mission of the Department of Mathematics
- Offer mathematics at undergraduate level.
- Conduct research in mathematics
- Offer mathematics education courses through continuing education and distance learning programs
- Offer service courses.
- Actively participate in the popularization, growth and development of mathematics in the school system.
- As curriculum development is a dynamic process, it is imperative to undertake a revision of the existing curriculum in order to meet the needs of the society, cope up with developments in science and technology and maintain the international standard of the undergraduate programs of the Department.